Mehmet Güleryüz was born in Istanbul, Turkey, in 1938.
He entered The Istanbul State Academy of Fine Arts’ Department of Painting in 1958, from which he graduated in First Place in 1966. He also trained in acting whilst studying at the academy, taking part in various ‘actor’s studios’ and important amateur theaters. In 1963, he began his professional acting career at the Arena Theater, directed by Asaf Çiğiltepe.
Güleryüz opened his first personal art exhibition, featuring drawings, in 1963. Between 1970 and 1975 he received advanced training in painting and lithography during a state scholarship to Paris, creating his first sculptures and performance at the Pont des Arts in 1971. This period also saw exhibitions at Galerie Thérèse Rouselle, Perpignan (1971), Galerie Luszpinski, Paris (1972), Galerie Philippe Demay, Paris (1974), Galerie Graffiti, Rouen (1974) and Galerie Thérèse Rouselle, Perpignan (1974). The years 1975 –1980 were spent teaching at the Istanbul State Academy of Fine Arts’ Painting Department; in 1980 he resigned this position and settled in New York, until 1984. Exhibitions during this period included Galerie Shlesinger – Boissanté, New York (1981), Galerie Thérèse Rouselle, Perpignan (1980 & 1984), Galerie 2016, Brussels (1984 & 1987)
Returning to Istanbul in 1985, Güleryüz provided art training at a studio with his own name at Bilsak. This practice continued until 2000.
In 1986 Güleryüz began to publish the art magazine “Kalın” (Thick); in 1988 he opened his 25th anniversary retrospective at the Ataturk Cultural Center, Istanbul, organized by Galeri Nev, Istanbul, and accompanied by a book written by Nan Freeman. This was followed by an exhibition at National Museum of Painting and Sculpture, Ankara, also organized by Galeri Nev, in 1990.
From 1989 to 1992 Güleryüz served as founding president of the International Fine Arts Organization of Turkey, and between 1990 and 1995 he published an interview column entitled “conversations with Güleryüz” in the magazine, Votre Beauté.
In 1991 he realized the monumental 14-painting cycle “Cross-Wind” for permanent installation in the atrium of the Ankara Sheraton Hotel. He then served as a visiting instructor at Bilkent University, Ankara, in 1992 – the same year as he realized a series of seven paintings for the lobby of the Polat Renaissance Hotel in Istanbul.
Güleryüz visited Bosnia in 1995 under the auspices of the ‘Humanity for Bosnia’ initiative. He revisited his theatrical training between 1998 and 2001, acting the character Pepino in the three-character play, An old clown is Wanted for a small Job at the Istanbul State Theater. The play later toured to Duisburg and Dusseldorf.
Güleryüz was re-elected as the President of the Turkish Fine Arts Association in 2000, in 2001 he was elected as the Eastern European President of the IAA, and upon unification the Vice-president of the unified European Presidency and as a member of the IAA World Administration Board.
In 2003 Güleryüz realized his 40-year drawing retrospective at the Yapı Kredi Kazım Taşkent Gallery, Istanbul.
He taught the Combined Arts Program at Yıldız Technical University, Istanbul from 2003 – 2005. In addition to the lessons provided at his private art studio since 1999 he also taught the Istanbul Bilgi University Design Culture and Administration certificate program.
In 2005, Güleryüz organized the European General Meeting of the IAA, also participating in the 16th IAA World General Meeting in Beijing and the 2nd Beijing Biennial as a member of the IAA World Administration Board.
In 2007 he realized the retrospective and sculpture exhibition, “From Here to There” at the Yapı Kredi Kazım Taşkent Gallery, Istanbul; and “Fifty Years of art,” at Galeri Nev, Ankara in 2008, which was accompanied by a second book by Nan Freeman. His 50th Year retrospective exhibition took place at Kibele Art Gallery in January 2009, with the contribution of İş Bankası, which was accompanied by a book written by Wendy Shaw. In 2009, he also participated in Mardin Contemporary Art Bienal as well as the 9th International Shanghai Contemporary Art Fair and Contemporary Istanbul ’09.
In 2010, he realized 2 exhibitions; “Bile Bile” at Galeri Merkur and “Desen de” at arteIstanbul. The cover of 150 special editions of “Açık Kitap” (Open Book) which was published for Istanbul-based Açık Radio’s10th anniversary was hand drawn by Mehmet Güleryüz, with a different design on each cover. In 2011 he participated in international fairs including Dubai, Hong Kong, Basel Scope, Marakesh Art Fair and Contemporary Istanbul. In 2012 he participated in the Viennafair and also took part in Contemporary Istanbul with The Empire Project gallery. A collection of older and brand new drawings on paper and canvas as well as an important sculptural work were featured in the solo show Edge of the line at M1886 Gallery in Ankara. His long awaited solo exhibition “With one’s eyes open” containing brand new works took place at the Empire Project in March 2013, followed by a highly successful showing at Contemporary Istanbul in November of the same year.
Güleryüz is the author of two publications: Güldüğüme Bakma (Don’t be fooled by my smile) a memoir published by İş bankası Kültür Yayınları in 2004 and Resmi Geçit, a book on art theory (İş Bankası Kültür Yayınları, 2014)
In January 2015 a major retrospective exhibition of his work was realized at The Istanbul Modern Museum. The exhibition received record attendance and was regarded as one of the most important artistic events of 2015 in Turkey.
In 2016 a selection of his drawing were exhibited at the at the gallery of Pulchri Studios The Hauge, Netherlands curated by Anne Woodward in the exhibition ‘The Cages of Freedom’.
His most recent solo exhibition “Malgré / Despite” comprised of brand new drawings was exhibited at The Empire Project in January of 2017.
In 2018, he realized 2 exhibition "On the Road" at Jehangir Art Gallery and Jamaat in Mumbai.
Consisting recent works by mehmet Güleryüz painted while in Paris, the exhibition "De L'Intérieur" took place at the Gallery Cyril Guernieri in Paris.
In 2019, "The Garden Complaints" exhibition opened in Paris at Galeri Cyril Guernieri.
Güleryüz continues to live and work in Istanbul, Turkey and Paris, France.
- 1963 City Gallery, Istanbul
- 1966 German Cultural Center, Istanbul
- 1968 Taksim Arts Gallery, Istanbul
- 1970 Taksim Arts Gallery, Istanbul
- 1971 Galerie Thérèse Roussel, Perpignan
- 1972 Galerie Luszpinski, Paris
- 1974 Galerie Thérèse Roussel, Perpignan
- 1974 Galerie Philippe Demay, Paris
- 1974 Galerie Graffiti, Rouen
- 1975 Melda Kaptana Arts Gallery, Istanbul
- 1975 Galeri Baraz, Istanbul
- 1977 Mediterranean Arts Gallery, Ankara
- 1977 Studio Theater, Varşova
- 1978 Maçka Arts Gallery, Istanbul
- 1979 “Sedat Simavi Foundation Awards”, Vakko Arts Gallery, Ankara
- 1980 Galerie Thérèse Roussel, Perpignan
- 1981 Maçka Arts Gallery, Istanbul
- 1982 Gallery Schlesinger-Boissante, New York
- 1983 Urart Arts Gallery, Istanbul
- 1984 Galerie Thérèse Roussel, Perpignan
- 1984 Galerie 2016, Brüksel
- 1985 Tanbay Arts Gallery, Ankara
- 1985 Teşvikiye Arts Gallery, Istanbul
- 1985 En Gallery, Istanbul
- 1986 Teşvikiye Arts Gallery, Istanbul
- 1986 Galeri Nev, Ankara
- 1987 Galerie 2016, Brüksel
- 1988 “Portraits”, Galeri Nev, Ankara
- 1988 “5 Paintings 1 Exhibition”, Galeri Nev, Istanbul
- 1988 “25th Year in the World of Arts, Retrospective Exhibition”, Galeri Nev, AKM, Istanbul
- 1990 Galeri Nev, AKM, Istanbul
- 1990 Galeri Nev, Ankara
- 1991 “Karşı Rüzgar” (the Counterwind), Sheraton Oteli, Ankara
- 1992 Galeri Nev, Ankara
- 1992 “Çöp Masalları” (the Garbage Tales), Polat Rönasans Hotel, Istanbul
- 1993 Urart Arts Gallery, Istanbul and Ankara
- 1994 “Desenler” (Patterns) 1963-1994, Galeri Nev, Ankara
- 1996 Yapı Kredi Kazım Taşkent Arts Gallery, Istanbul
- 1997 “Bir Defter” (a Notebook), Atatürk Culture Center, Istanbul
- 1998 Galeri Artist, AKM, Istanbul
- 1998 Istanbul Arts Fair, Galeri Artist, Istanbul
- 1999 Galeri Artist, Museum of Paintigns and Sculpture, Ankara
- 2000 “Bir Yıkımdan Arda Kalanlar” (those Remaining from a Destruction), Teşvikiye Arts Gallery, Istanbul
- 2000 Axa-Oyak Arts Gallery, Istanbul
- 2000 “Bir Yıkımın İçinden” (Through a Destruction), um:ag Arts Gallery, Ankara
- 2001 Galeri Artist, Istanbul
- 2002 Evin Arts Gallery, Istanbul
- 2002 Dirimart Kemer Country, Istanbul
- 2003 Nurol Arts Gallery, Ankara
- 2003 “Kırk Yıl Desen” (Forty Years of Patterns) Retrospective, Yapı Kredi Kazım Taşkent Arts Gallery, Istanbul
- 2004 Uğur Mumcu Foundation Gallery, Ankara
- 2004 “İnsan-Asker?” (Human-Soldier?),Diyarbakır Arts Gallery, Diyarbakır
- 2004 “Erkekler” (the Men), Galeri x-ist, Istanbul
- 2005 Tevfik İhtiyar Arts Gallery, Istanbul
- 2005 Mine Arts Gallery, Istanbul
- 2006 “Çizgi Roman” (Illustrated Novel), Art x-ist, Istanbul
- 2006 Agora Shopping Center, İzmir
- 2006 Tevfik İhtiyar Arts Gallery, Istanbul
- 2007 “İmkansıza Direnmek” (Resisting the Impossible), Güzelyalı Center for Arts and Culture, İzmir
- 2007 Tevfik İhtiyar Arts Gallery, Istanbul
- 2007 “Dipnot” (Footnote), Çırağan Palace Kempinski Arts Gallery, Istanbul
- 2007 Selçuk Yaşar Arts Gallery, İzmir
- 2007 “Oradan Oraya” (From One Place to Another) Retrospective Sculpture Exhibition,Yapı Kredi Kazım Taşkent Arts Gallery, Istanbul
- 2008 “The Exhibition of Artistic and Cultural Activities for the 225th Anniversary of Saint Benoit”, İSO Odakule Arts Gallery, Istanbul
- 2008 Kırmızı Ardıç Kuşu Arts Gallery, Alaçatı
- 2008 “Savaş ve İnsan” (War and Human), Kars Arts Gallery, Kars
- 2008 “50th Year in Arts” Retrospective, Galeri Nev, Ankara
- 2008 “Resepsiyon” (the Reception), Galeri x-ist, Istanbul
- 2009 “50th Year Retrospective”, İş Sanat Culture Center, Kibele Arts Gallery, Istanbul
- 2009 “Desenler” (Drawings), Artisan Arts Gallery, Istanbul
- 2010 “Bile Bile” (Deliberately) Galeri Merkür, Istanbul
- 2010 “Desen de…” (“Drawing is also…”), Arte Istanbul, Istanbul
- 2012 “Çizginin Ucunda” (On the Edge of the Line), M1886, Ankara
- 2013 “Göz Göre Göre” (Blatantly) The Empire Project, Istanbul
- 2013- 2014 “Belki” (Perhaps), Nar Artiz Galeri, İzmir
- 2014 Art’14, “Çizimler” (Drawings), The Empire Project, Londra
- 2015 “Ressam ve Resim” (The Painter and the Painting), Mehmet Güleryüz Retrospective, Istanbul Modern, Istanbul
- 2015 “…Ya da” (“…or”), KAV Arts Gallery, Ankara
- 2016 The Empire Project, Istanbul
- 2017 “Rağmen” (Despite), The Empire Project, Istanbul
- 2018 "On The Road", Jehangir,Jamaat Gallery, Mumbai
- 2018 "De L'Intérieur", Galeri Cyril Guernieri, Paris
- 2019 "The Garden Complaints", Galeri Cyril Guernieri, Paris
- 1989 IX. International Stockholm Arts Fair, Galeri Nev, Stockholm
- 1990, X. International Stockholm Arts Fair, Galeri Nev, Stockholm
- 1998 Istanbul Arts Fair, Galeri Artist, Istanbul
- 2009 “Mardin Contemporary Arts”, Mardin
- 2009 SH Contemporary’09, Galeri x-ist, Shanghai
- 2009 14th European Contemporary Arts Fair, Galeri x-ist, Strasburg
- 2009 Contemporary Istanbul’09, Galeri x-ist, Istanbul
- 2010 Contemporary Istanbul’10 , Galeri Merkür, Istanbul
- 2011 Art Dubai, Galeri x-ist, Dubai
- 2011 Hong Kong, The Empire Project, Dubai
- 2011 Art Basel Scope, The Empire Project, Basel
- 2011 Marrakesh, The Empire Project, Marrakesh
- 2011 6th Contemporary Istanbul, The Empire Project, Istanbul
- 2012 Viennafair, The Empire Project, Vienna
- 2012 7th Contemporary Istanbul, The Empire Project, Istanbul
- 2013 8th Contemporary Istanbul, The Empire Project
- 2014 9th Contemporary Istanbul, The Empire Project, Istanbul
- 2015 10th Contemporary Istanbul, The Empire Project, Istanbul
- 1964 State Exhibition of Painting and Sculpture, Ankara
- 1965 State Exhibition of Painting and Sculpture, Istanbul
- 1965 State Exhibition of Painting and Sculpture, Ankara
- 1965 TMTF Peace Festival Exhibition, Istanbul
- 1965 5th Young Artists Biennial, Paris
- 1966 “Five Young Painters”, Istanbul and Ankara
- 1966 “5th Biennial of Tehran”, Tehran
- 1966 “Exhibition of the Association of Contemporary Turkish Painters”, Istanbul
- 1966 “Contemporary Turkish Art”, Ben-Abby Grey Foundation, Istanbul
- 1966 “Contemporary Turkish Art”, Ben-Abby Grey Foundation, Minneapolis
- 1967 “Exhibition of the Association of Contemporary Turkish Painters”, Istanbul
- 1968 “13 Turkish Artists”, London
- 1968 “Contemporary Art”, Belgrade
- 1970 “Contemporary Turkish Painting”, Minneapolis
- 1971 Sculpture Performance, Pont des Arts, Paris
- 1972 Salon des Réalités Nouvelles, Paris
- 1972 Exhibition of Septentrion Awards, Paris
- 1973 “Nazım Hikmet’e Saygı” (Reverence to Nazım Hikmet), Cité Universitaire, Paris
- 1973 Salon de Mai, Paris
- 1974 Salon des Réalités Nouvelles, Paris
- 1974 Salon de Mai, Paris
- 1974 L’art dans L’entreprise, Jeulin, Evreux
- 1975 State Exhibition of Painting and Sculpture
- 1976 “6 Painters from Istanbul”, Ankara
- 1976 Tiglat Arts Gallery Inauguration Exhibition, Istanbul
- 1976 Exhibition of the Visual Arts Center, Istanbul
- 1977 “Painting in Contemporary Istanbul”, Belgrade
- 1977 IDGSA Art Festival, Istanbul
- 1977 Belgrade 77, Belgrade
- 1978 “Marcelle Duchamps'a Saygı” (Reverence to Marcelle Duchamps), Sarajevo
- 1978 “Marcelle Duchamp’a Saygı” (Reverence to Marcelle Duchamps), Galeri Moderna, Ljubljana
- 1979 “Altın Madalya” (Golden Medal), Istanbul State Festival of Fine Arts, Istanbul
- 1979 Turkish Arts Collection, Ben-Abby Gray, New York
- 1979 Academy of Fine Arts, Istanbul
- 1979 “5 Turkish Artists ” Türkay Arts Gallery, Stuttgart
- 1979 2. IDGSA Arts Festival, Istanbul
- 1980 “New Year Mix”, Gallery Schlesinger-Boisante, New York
- 1981 Galeri Baraz, Istanbul
- 1981 Inter Art 81, New York
- 1982 “Exhibition of Anatolian Civilizations”, Istanbul
- 1986 “Turkish Painting in the Second Half of the 20th Century”, Galeri Baraz, Yıldız Palace, Istanbul
- 1986 “Contemporary Turkish Plastic Arts Exhibition”, Ankara
- 1987 Tem Arts Gallery, Istanbul
- 1987 “Modernization in Turkish Painting”, Galeri Baraz, AKM, Istanbul
- 1987 “Recent Dimensions of Turkish Painting” Galeri Baraz, Istanbul
- 1987 “New Trends” Mimar Sinan University, Istanbul
- 1987 “Third Place Award”, International Mediterranean Biennial of Alexandria, Alexandria
- 1987 1st International Biennial of Istanbul, Ayasofya Hammam, Istanbul
- 1988 “Turkish Painting”, Galeri Baraz, Yıldız University, Istanbul
- 1988 “Anonim Kadınlar” (Women Anonymous) Urart Arts Gallery, Istanbul and Ankara
- 1988 “ Seratonin I”, Feshane, Istanbul
- 1988 “Contemporary Turkish Painting”, AKM, Ankara
- 1989 “Raslantısal Bulgu” (Incidental Finding), Installation, Yerebatan Sarnıcı, Arts Festival, Istanbul
- 1989 2nd International Biennial of Istanbul, Istanbul
- 1990 “Today’s Turkish Art Grand Exhibition 2”,AKM, Istanbul
- 1990 “Contemporary Turkish Painting”, KÜSAV-Sotheby’s, Istanbul
- 1994 Galeri Nev, Museum of Painting and Sculpture, Ankara
- 1994 Contemporary Turkish Arts Collection of the Central Bank, AKM, Ankara
- 1995 “I am another”, Galeri Nev, Kopenhag
- 2000 “Veritas Omnia Vincit” (Hakikat Herşeyin Üstesinden Gelir/The Truth Overcomes Anything) A Lbyrinth Exhibition, Tüyap, Istanbul
- 2000 METU Arts Fair 2, Exhibition of Plastic Arts, METU Culture and Convention Center, Ankara
- 2000 “Dört Duvar: Atölye” (Four Walls: Atelier), Axa Oyak Arts Gallery, Istanbul
- 2001 “Between the Waterfronts” ( Rıhtımlar Arasında ) Istanbul-Rotterdam.
- 2001 “Watercolor in Turkish Painting”, Kazım Taşkent, Yapı Kredi, Istanbul
- 2002 “Mavi Sergi” (Blue Exhibition), Koç Museum, Istanbul
- 2003 “Notebooks of the Artists”, Kazım Taşkent, Yapı Kredi, Istanbul
- 2003 “Sanat Akmerkez’de” (Art at Akmerkez), Akmerkez, Istanbul.
- 2004 1st International Pattern Biennial, Plzen
- 2005 2nd International Biennial of Beijing, Beijing
- 2007 “Modern ve Ötesi” (Modern and Beyond),Santral Istanbul Museum, Istanbul
- 2007 “Sketch”, Caddebostan Culture Center ,Istanbul
- 2007 “Grand Award”, 20th International Arts Festival, Mahres
- 2012-2013 “Hikayemi hangi Dilde Anlatsam” (In Which Language Shall I tell My Story?), Stedelijk Museum, Schiedam
- 2013 “Unut-mamak” (To not forget “Mamak”) exhibition, Beşiktaş Municipality, Istanbul
- 2016 METU Sanat 17
- 2016 “The Cages Of Freedom”, Studio Pulchri, the Hague
- 1965 5th Biennial of Young Artists, Paris
- 1966 5th Biennial of Tehran, Tehran
- 1987 International Biennial of Alexandria, Egypt
- 1987 1st International Biennial of Istanbul
- 1989 2nd International Biennial of Istanbul
- 2004 1st Plzen Biennial of Patterns, Czech Republic
- 2005 2nd International Biennial of Beijing, Beijing
- 1966 First Place Award of the Graduation Competition
- 1979 Sedat Simavi Foundation Awards, Istanbul State Festival of Fine Arts (Golden Medal).
- 1990 Painter of the Year, Istanbul Foundation of Education and Culture
- 1995 Nokta Dergisi Doruktakiler Plastik Sanatlar Ödülü; Nokta Magazine, ‘Doruktakiler’ Award for Plastic Arts
- 2000-2001 Artist of the Year, Ankara Artistic Board.
- 2003 Honor Award of Painting, Beykent University.
- 2007 Best Painter Series Award, II. Golden Tulip Award for Fine Arts
Collections and Museums
- Istanbul State Museum of Painting and Sculpture
- The Istanbul Modern Museum Collection
- Ankara State Museum of Painting and Sculpture
- Sakıp Sabancı Collection
- Contemporary Turkish Painting Collection of the Central Bank
- Collection of the French Ministry of Culture
- Collection of the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Turkey
- Eczacıbaşı Collection
- New York University Collection
- Karl Hermann Klock Collection, Duisburg
- 1961 Adım Theatre, İp (The rope)
- 1960 Akademi Theatre, Şehirli Kız (The metropolitan girl).
- 1960 Sahne-Z, Güneşte 10 Kişi (10 people under sun).
- 1963 Arena Theatre, Kral Übü (King Ubu).
- 1963 Arena Theatre, Arslan Asker Şvayk (Şvayk the Lionhearted Soldier).
- 1963 Arena Theatre, Başkalarının Kellesi (Heads of Others).
- 1963 Arena Theatre, Kayıp Mektup (The lost Letter).
- 1998-2001 Istanbul State Theatre, Bir Küçük İş İçin Yaşlı Bir Palyaço Aranıyor (An Aged Clown is Needed for a Minor Business).
Cinema / TV-Acting
- 1990 Kurtuluş (Independence).
- 1994 Bir Yaz Yağmuru (A Summer Rain).
- 1996 Köstebek (Spy).
- 1997 Kuşatma (Siege).
- 1997 Bir Doğu Masalı (An Oriental Tale).
- 2003 Crude.